Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    710

    Swapping a OBD1 GSR into a EK. What do I do about wiring?

    yo im trying to swap a 95 obd1 gsr into a 96 civic ek but where do i go wiring wise besides get a 96 ex wireharness if thats an obd2 wireharness wouldnt i have to switch the alternator and dizzy to obd2 also or it plugs up and i can get a step down harness

    Last edited by blacklabel; 02-17-2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: add

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    630
    obd1 and 2 is the same thing just different plugs . you can splice them in and run a obd1 ecu through ur obd2 harness but u may have trouble with ur inspections passing. or replacing all obd1 parts with obd2 gsr distributor and alternator would let everything plug in nicely and use a obd2 ecu . done correctly it makes for a clean swap. good luck - also theres a few wiring differences on the throttle body not sure

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by ej666 View Post
    obd1 and 2 is the same thing just different plugs . you can splice them in and run a obd1 ecu through ur obd2 harness but u may have trouble with ur inspections passing. or replacing all obd1 parts with obd2 gsr distributor and alternator would let everything plug in nicely and use a obd2 ecu . done correctly it makes for a clean swap. good luck - also theres a few wiring differences on the throttle body not sure

    ok thanks i have the stock gsr obd1 harness on the motor now and i have the stock 96 civic obd2 wireharness in the car can i use them and wire in a vtec or would it be easier to just get the obd2 parts and buy an obd2 harness with the obd1 step down for the ecu?

  4. #4
    Senior Member widebodyjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    mastic/suffolk Li
    Posts
    9,079
    if you have a 96-98 ex harness.. there is no wiring issues, its already vtec and uses a 2 wire IACV. other then the alternator and distributor which btw are the same obd1 or obd2 (except the plugs). I'd buy a obd1 jumper and run it on a obd1 gsr ecu.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by widebodyjay View Post
    if you have a 96-98 ex harness.. there is no wiring issues, its already vtec and uses a 2 wire IACV. other then the alternator and distributor which btw are the same obd1 or obd2 (except the plugs). I'd buy a obd1 jumper and run it on a obd1 gsr ecu.

    ok so do i gotta change the alternator and dizzy because of the obd change or with the 98 ex wireharness it plugs right up?

  6. #6
    Senior Member widebodyjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    mastic/suffolk Li
    Posts
    9,079
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
    ok so do i gotta change the alternator and dizzy because of the obd change or with the 98 ex wireharness it plugs right up?
    If you have obd1 distributorl,alternator,injectors.. you have to change the plugs to obd2 or just get obd2 parts. Other then that thats all you'll need to do if you use that harness.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by widebodyjay View Post
    If you have obd1 distributorl,alternator,injectors.. you have to change the plugs to obd2 or just get obd2 parts. Other then that thats all you'll need to do if you use that harness.
    ohh aightt thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •