Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brand Spanking Noob

b20 crankshaft???

Hi guys
    first of all sorry for my english.
    I have spent a lot of hours here. it is great forum with a lot of infos.
    actually I am thinking about build a b20. at the moment I have a b18c4 engine in my civic.
    now I got a chance to buy the bottom of the engine from honda CR-V.
    I just have one question. what do you think about the crankshaft?
    the crankshaft was made to go till 6800rpm (I think).
    if I put the b18 head on it, it would be probably around 8800rpm, because I have remmaped ecu(similar like ITR has).
    what do you think. it is like 2000 rpm more for crankshaft.
    of course if I would go to swap I would by other pistons and rods. but I donīt really know about the cranksaft. do you think it can handle 8800rpm?
    thank you for every single info about it.

its not the crank that you have to worry about its your head, valvetrain, rod bolts and compression. you def can not go up to 8800rpm...ur shit will blow faster than you can shift. Stay at the stock rev limiter; 6800-7200...your not going to be making any power past that anyway...especially with b20 pistons and a ls head.

if you are looking to have more a wider power band, then get yourself some arp rod bolts, rs machine 84.5mm pistons, vtec head, arp headstuds, and ge/blackworks lsv kit and go get tuned!! you'll see waaaaay better performance and you'll be a lot happier!
    S.T.W Racing
    2013 The Take Over!

Quote Originally Posted by b16eg684 View Post
    its not the crank that you have to worry about its your head, valvetrain, rod bolts and compression. you def can not go up to 8800rpm...ur shit will blow faster than you can shift. Stay at the stock rev limiter; 6800-7200...your not going to be making any power past that anyway...especially with b20 pistons and a ls head.

if you are looking to have more a wider power band, then get yourself some arp rod bolts, rs machine 84.5mm pistons, vtec head, arp headstuds, and ge/blackworks lsv kit and go get tuned!! you'll see waaaaay better performance and you'll be a lot happier!
    Bummmmpsssssss'
    Team ef member #9 :yahoo:
    Pupusa racing crew #29
    Fist pumping crew member #6 :fistpump:

If you are doing a Vtec head conversion on the CRV bottom end with pistons and rods then I would assume you're using aftermarket rod bolts. If that is the case then you should have no problem with the bottom end rev'ing that high. Now the question is are you going to put some work into the head as well. Seeing as a stock head that isn't ITR isn't manufactured for that high of RPM. Which means if you rev your stock head that high you run the risk of dropping a valve or something to that effect. After this work is done you will also need to get this car tuned. Hope this helps.
    Need a swap or anything done? PM me. . .

Brand Spanking Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by b16eg684 View Post

ok, but i got a vtec head though. it is head from the engine b18c4 that was made for european market. the head was build to go up to 8250 rpm. now, with my 1.8 bottom I got a rev limiter at 8800rpm, but I know it is too much actually for a stock head. I mean I can go lower and go up to 8200rpm because that is what my stock b18 head was made for.
    as I said I know I need pistons, and rod bolts, and also arp headstuds. but do you think that crankshaft from b20 that was originally made for 6800 would handle now 8200rpm?

Brand Spanking Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by DownShiftPerfEK9 View Post
    If you are doing a Vtec head conversion on the CRV bottom end with pistons and rods then I would assume you're using aftermarket rod bolts. If that is the case then you should have no problem with the bottom end rev'ing that high. Now the question is are you going to put some work into the head as well. Seeing as a stock head that isn't ITR isn't manufactured for that high of RPM. Which means if you rev your stock head that high you run the risk of dropping a valve or something to that effect. After this work is done you will also need to get this car tuned. Hope this helps.
    yes, thank you!
    I think I would leave my head as stock becuase was made for 8200rpm. that is rev limiter for this head from the factory.
    so, If I go up to 8200rpm, plus Iīll buy an aftermarket pistons, rod bolts and arp headstuds, I donīt need to worry about the crankshaft from CR-V non vtec engine??? this is the whole think I need to know.
    I mean I donīt want to kill the crankshaft after like 3000km. that would be bad :(

Noob
    crank is good
    upgrade pistons, arp's
    Last edited by kulo; 03-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Ok LeTs tRy tHiS AgAin... sajoma856's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marek bb View Post
    yes, thank you!
    I think i would leave my head as stock becuase was made for 8200rpm. That is rev limiter for this head from the factory.
    So, if i go up to 8200rpm, plus iīll buy an aftermarket pistons, rod bolts and arp headstuds, i donīt need to worry about the crankshaft from cr-v non vtec engine??? This is the whole think i need to know.
    I mean i donīt want to kill the crankshaft after like 3000km. That would be bad :(

dont worry much about your crank...your good on that.

Worry about buying pistons and rods and arp head studs and stuff like that...crank can hold

Brand Spanking Noob
    ok, I got it. thank you a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by sajoma856 View Post
    dont worry much about your crank...your good on that.

Worry about buying pistons and rods and arp head studs and stuff like that...crank can hold
    :agreed:. . . The crank will handle it. . .
    Need a swap or anything done? PM me. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast