Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

How To: Painting a valve cover.

hey I just finished painting my brothers new VTEC valve cover.. he just bought the GSR head and wanted to ****e it up a bit. I used the Dupli-Color Wrinkle Red for the valve cover and wrinkle black for the intake manifold. Sorry I don't have pics but I hope this writeup helps. the things you will need are as followed:
    1. Gasket Remover
    2. Paint Scraper or razor blade
    3. dupli color wrinkle paint
    4. air compressor (not neccesary)
    5. Q-Tips with nail polish remover.
    6. Sandpaper
    7. common sense
    the First step would be to clean any dirt or oil from the surface of the valve cover. Next spray the valve cover with the gasket remover. I find that the gasket remover works alot faster than regular paint thinner or stripper. As the paint begins to bubble up and wrinkle beign to scrape it away with the scraper or a razor blade. Chances are that some sections wont come out as clear as the others, if this is the case then re-spray and remove the remaining paint. Once this step is complete take the sandpaper and sand off any highspots or corrosion. Blow off the valve cover with the compressor. Next make sure all oil, water, or any type of liquid or debres is cleaned away. then spray an even coat across the entire surface. DO NOT HANDLE ROUGHLY UNTIL 4 HOURS HAS PASSED. Personally I let it sit under a heating lamp, this just speeds up dry time and allows the paint to bake to the surface. Many people like to use the oven but if your parents bitch like mine then use a heating lamp or a heat gun. Let it sit for about 10-20 minutes then allow to cool.. Here comes the tricky part. Take a q-tip soaked in nailpolish remover and begin to remove the paint from the DOHC VTEC unless you want to keep it red. Be careful not to drip onto the rest of the valve cover. After this is completed remove paint from and nipples or screw holes as it will make it difficult to screw in a screw or attach hoses back onto their fittings. Then grab a beer and admire your handywork. Hope this helps. Ill add up pics tonight..

Last edited by chadwick706; 08-13-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: left out steps

bump good info for ya that wanna dress ur engine bay up
    :banwagon:

its more to make it look stock.. my friend had a GSR so i did it for him.. looks hot too.. cant say who and where cause i dont trust people lol.. but im posting pics up as I type..

i'll also do it for anyone preferably in the tri-state area. Im chargin 65.00 for full valve cover.. ill also do anything else as long as the design isnt too serious such as masking off certain areas.. shipping is extra of course.. heres some pics of my work..o and the first picture of the valve cover, that isnt a chip in the paint it was a piece of paper tower lol.. see the second picture.. please contact me asap..!!
    Last edited by chadwick706; 03-26-2008 at 08:08 PM.

I like shit on my dick
    official

#1 Hater
    werd looks brand new bump for u...maybe u cn paint other ppl valve covers and make some easy cash bump for you....any clear coats?
    1991 White Sentra Se-r SOLDDDD
    06' Tornado Red GTI.....:yahoo:

im not sure how a clear coat would look with the wrinkle finish.. anyone need it done?? i'd say about 65.00 is fair.. message me if anyones interested.
    Last edited by chadwick706; 03-26-2008 at 08:08 PM.

bump good deal.. and really nice work on the cover and mani..
    Build it, Run it, Break it, REPEAT.
    /Oo ___A___ oO\
    | =_/_______\_= | Low Budget Racing FTW

thanks everyone.. any takers yet??

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast